Community Baby Showers are a great way to help low-income expectant and new parents prepare for the arrival of their new baby. Baby showers help to provide these families with essential items every parent and new baby need.
Community health organizations across America are hosting community baby showers. Rather than putting one mother at the center of attention, these showers invite dozens of expectant/new mothers from around the community.
- Find a partner. Is there an organization that would like to sponsor your event?
- Set a goal. Divvy up tasks.
- Create a list of suggested items. Diapers, onesies, baby powder, diaper rash cream, etc..
- Organize light refreshments for the day of the event.
- Offer prizes and/or party favors.
- Advertise the event with flyers, social media, etc..
- Gather volunteers by reaching out to friends, family, clubs, church groups, and co-workers.
- Focus on making it easy to give by providing drop-off boxes. Consider offering multiple drop-off sites if possible.
- Allow discussion of health concerns.
- Provide education on prenatal and postnatal care.
- Provide community resources.
- Surveys may be useful when it comes to planning your next community baby shower.
- Be sure to thank your donors!
Check out the resources listed below more more information and tips for success!